“Hostas, Friends, and Music”
American Hosta Society 2012 Convention
Save the Date
June 13-16, 2012
at the Nashville Airport Marriott.
Hosta growers and hybridizers from around the world will attend.
Please plan to join us - Open to all Hosta Lovers
(You do not have to be an AHS Member to attend)
“Hostas, Friends and Music” will be a time for visiting with old friends, making new ones, experiencing Nashville and of course, seeing Middle Tennessee gardens. The Scientific program will include:
- a panel on Hosta Tips to Grow By;
- Don Dean will share his hybridizing experience Where Did That Trait Come From;
- Jerry Weeks with From Yon to Here will discuss how hostas made their way from Asia to the New World; and,
- George Schmid, the Key Note speaker, will present his work on Hosta Species.
- Mike Shadrack will address hostas in Europe with Eric Smith, Master Hybridizer,
- Bob Solberg will talk on The Future of Hostas and
- Warren Pollack will lead a breakout session on recent hosta DNA work by Dr. Ben Zonnerveld of the University of Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Flo Chaffin of Specialty Ornamentals will discuss Shady Characters - Japanese maples, hydrangea and conifers for the various growing zones.
There will also be two non-scientific sessions:
- The Rise of the Southern Biscuit and
- Adelicia Acklen, Mistress of Belmont (Plantation).
A musical revue is planned for Wednesday evening after the Optional Tours. One tour is Gardens of Nashville, including the Parthenon, and the other is a historic tour of three Civil War sites in Franklin, TN, including Carnton Plantation and its 1860 period garden.
The Hat Contest will return on Saturday evening and a Photography Contest will be held. Categories and rules will be posted on the convention website.
With so many attendees driving to Nashville, we are looking forward to a great Hosta Show. You bring the leaves… We’ll have the bottles.
If Country Music is on your agenda, we suggest attending the Grand Ole Opry on Tuesday evening to avoid missing any of the convention activities. Gray Line of Nashville has given the group a special rate which will include tickets, and transportation to and from the hotel. A special email address for this will be posted on the convention website.
Ya’ll Come. We’ll be serving up Southern Hospitality and are Expecting You.